Habitat for Humanity has its roots in Koinonia Farm, founded in 1942 by farmer and biblical scholar Clarence Jordan. Montgomery businessman Millard Fuller graduated from University of Alabama and later connected with Jordan. Together they developed the concept of “partnership housing,” which led to the creation of Habitat for Humanity International in 1976.
Habitat for Humanity of Tuscaloosa began in 1987 through the efforts of Hank Hawkins, a friend and classmate of Fuller’s at the University of Alabama. This affiliate was built on the grassroot efforts of local volunteers committed to building affordable homes for families in need.
Prior to the April 27, 2011 Tornado, Habitat Tuscaloosa had built an average of 2 houses per year. The need for affordable housing in the community sky rocketed after the devastation. Since the tornado, we have built over 60 houses. Habitat Tuscaloosa is poised to play a critical role in rebuilding a better, stronger Tuscaloosa.